SHQ offers an accessible and inclusive counselling service where sexual health, relationship and unintended pregnancy issues can be talked through in a safe, confidential and relaxed environment. Our counsellors are specialised in the area of sexual well-being, empathetic and non-judgemental.
Sexual health and wellbeing counselling covers a broad range of issues. Some of the issues that we talk with people about are listed below. If you are unsure if what you are seeking help about fits with our service, please call us to discuss.
- Have you discovered that you or your partner are pregnant and not sure what to do?
- Are you considering termination of pregnancy (abortion), continuing with a pregnancy, or considering adoption? Would you like to understand more about your options or talk them through?
- Have you had a termination (abortion) and feel it would be helpful to talk about your feelings?
Counselling for issues impacting upon sexual health and wellbeing
- Have you received a positive sexually transmissible infection (STI) or blood borne virus (BBV) result?
- Are you engaging in risky sexual behaviours and not sure why?
- Do you want to know more about looking after yourself and others with safe sex?
- Would you like to feel more comfortable talking about sex with your sexual partner/s?
- Would you like to get better at setting boundaries or being more assertive in your sexual relationships?
- Have you experienced a sexual assault or sexual abuse in the past, and think that it may still be affecting you?
- Are you having problems or difficulties with sex? Are you worried about sexual functioning?
- Are sexual worries or problems affecting your relationship?
- Would you like to talk about your sexual orientation?
- Are you confused or worried about your gender identity?
- Do you have questions about sex and technology?
- Are you thinking about becoming sexually active and want to talk it through?
- Are you looking for some pointers around talking to young people about sex and sexuality?
SHQ employs qualified and experienced counsellors, social workers and psychologists who are specialised in the areas of sexual health, wellbeing and unintended pregnancy. We offer a variety of different therapeutic approaches to fit the varying needs of our clients. Because we value quality in service delivery, we have a high commitment to ongoing professional learning and development. Staff are required to maintain up to date knowledge of current research and developments in the field of sexual health and therapy.
Your confidentiality and privacy are valued and respected at all times. SHQ adheres to the Privacy Act, and all of your information is treated with the utmost confidentiality. When you come to SHQ, we will provide you with a copy of our Privacy Statement, which explains fully how we deal with your confidential information. Your counsellor can discuss this further with you if you have any questions.
At SHQ we offer individual counselling, couples counselling and family counselling. Sometimes it is important to come to counselling alone, and sometimes it can be helpful to bring your partner or a family member with you – you can discuss this with us when you make your appointment.
Our team under our People 1st Programme (PIP) believe that people with disability must be acknowledged as sexual beings who have the right to make informed choices about their sexuality, sexual and reproductive health, and relationships.
Our specialised team of counsellors, psychologists and educators provide tailored sessions and strategies to suit the needs, age, and ability of the individual, covering a variety of issues. Topics that are frequently supported include:
- Building Resilience
- Private & Public Concepts
- Protective Education
- Healthy, Respectful Relationships
- Cyber Safety
- Inappropriate Sexual Behaviours
- Managing Menstruation
- Choices & Consequences
- Sex & Consent
- Safer Sex Practices
- Sexual Abuse
- Reproductive Health
To get in touch please call 9227 6414