The Gwen Leavesley Award recognises the outstanding contribution and commitment of a Western Australian to sexual health and wellbeing in Western Australia.
SHQ wishes to celebrate the life of Dr Gwen Leavesley and her contribution to the Family Planning movement in Western Australia.
Gwen was instrumental in the founding of the Family Planning Association of Western Australia in 1972, and continued to be involved with the organisation for over 30 years. She was appointed the organisation’s first Medical Director in 1975 and was responsible for expanding and improving clinical services in sexual and reproductive health for WA women. Gwen had significant influence on the development of medical training in sexuality and reproductive health issues, and was a strong supporter of the role of nurses as independent practitioners.
The Gwen Leavesley Award recognises the outstanding contribution and commitment of a Western Australian to sexual health and wellbeing in Western Australia. As the Award is for outstanding service it may not be awarded every year. Outstanding service is considered when at least one of the following criteria have been met by a nomination:
- They have made a significant contribution to community knowledge and education on sexual and reproductive health.
- They have worked to increase linkages and productive collaborative partnerships across the sexual health sector.
- Through their work they have significantly contributed to the improvement in the quality and innovation of sexual and reproductive health services for Western Australians.
- The nominee has demonstrated excellent leadership skills.
- Their work has resulted in a broadening of the community’s perception and knowledge of SHQ.
These criteria are not exhaustive, and the Awards Committee will consider other examples of outstanding contribution to the sexual health and well-being of Western Australians in considering a nomination.
The Committee will be comprised of three SHQ Board members, one of whom will be the Chair of the Board.
The deadline for nominations is 1st October 2020. Nominations are to be sent to the CEO who will work with the Awards Committee.
The Award nominees will be notified and invited to attend the SHQ AGM on Tuesday 3rd November 2020 for the presentation of the Award. The winning recipient will receive $500 to go towards furthering their professional development and skills within the field of sexual and reproductive health. The nominees and winner will also be announced through our social media and website, recognising their contribution to the sector.