About SHQ counselling
SHQ offers a professional counselling service that specialises in unplanned pregnancy, sexual health and sexual relationships (read more about this below).
Our vision is to offer an accessible and non-judgemental counselling service that is inclusive and empathetic. Our counsellors are specialised in the area of sexual well-being, and offer a service where sexual health and unplanned pregnancy issues can be talked through in a safe, confidential and relaxed environment.
Click here for Information for Professionals
Sexual health and wellbeing counselling covers a broad range of issues. Some of the issues that we talk with people about are listed below. If you are unsure if what you are seeking help about fits with our service, please call us to discuss.
Areas we cover include:
- Have you discovered that you or your partner are pregnant and not sure what to do?
- Are you considering termination of pregnancy (abortion), continuing with a pregnancy, or considering adoption? Would you like to understand more about your options or talk them through?
- Have you had a termination (abortion) and feel it would be helpful to talk about your feelings?
Counselling for issues impacting upon sexual health and wellbeing
- Have you received a positive sexually transmissible infection (STI) or blood borne virus (BBV) result?
- Are you engaging in risky sexual behaviours and not sure why?
- Do you want to know more about looking after yourself and others with safe sex?
- Would you like to feel more comfortable talking about sex with your sexual partner/s?
- Would you like to get better at setting boundaries or being more assertive in your sexual relationships?
- Have you experienced a sexual assault or sexual abuse in the past, and think that it may still be affecting you?
- Are you having problems or difficulties with sex? Are you worried about sexual functioning?
- Are sexual worries or problems affecting your relationship?
- Would you like to talk about your sexual orientation?
- Are you confused or worried about your gender identity?
- Do you have questions about sex and technology?
- Are you thinking about becoming sexually active and want to talk it through?
- Are you looking for some pointers around talking to young people about sex and sexuality?
SHQ is a prochoice organisation. Sessions on unplanned pregnancy and post termination issues are subsidised by the Department of Health WA.
Counselling for individuals or couples who are dealing with an unplanned pregnancy is given priority. It is standard policy that if an appointment is not available when you call, a staff member will be in contact within 24 hours to arrange an appointment for you within one week.
Your counsellor will explore all of the options available when an unplanned pregnancy occurs. They will help you to make a decision which best suits your individual situation. The three choices available when faced with an unplanned pregnancy are:
- Continue the pregnancy and raise your child
- Continue the pregnancy and place your child for adoption
- End the pregnancy (have a termination/abortion)
For more information on the options available see – Help, I think I’m Pregnant. If you decide to have a termination (abortion), SHQ doctors are able to discuss a referral.
Are my sessions private and confidential?
Your confidentiality and privacy are valued and respected at all times. SHQ adheres to the Privacy Act, and all of your information is treated with the utmost confidentiality. When you come to SHQ, we will provide you with a copy of our Privacy Statement, which explains fully how we deal with your confidential information. Your counsellor can discuss this further with you if you have any questions.
Can I bring my partner or a family member?
At SHQ we offer individual counselling, couples counselling and family counselling. Sometimes it is important to come to counselling alone, and sometimes it can be helpful to bring your partner or a family member with you – you can discuss this with us when you make your appointment.
Is your counselling free of charge?
We offer free counselling for people experiencing an unplanned pregnancy, or people who have recently had a termination of pregnancy (abortion), regardless of your age.
We also offer free sexual health and wellbeing counselling to people under 25 years.
If the counselling is not about an unplanned pregnancy, and you are 25 years or over, we offer affordable counselling that is calculated on a sliding scale depending upon your income. If you have any questions about fees, or if you are experiencing financial hardship, please discuss this with us when you make your appointment.
SHQ employs qualified and experienced counsellors, social workers and psychologists who are specialised in the areas of sexual health, wellbeing and unplanned pregnancy. We offer a variety of different therapeutic approaches to fit the varying needs of our clients. Because we value quality in service delivery, we have a high commitment to ongoing professional learning and development. Staff are required to maintain up to date knowledge of current research and developments in the field of sexual health and therapy.
SHQ Counselling operates from three metropolitan clinics. Clients residing in rural and remote areas are able to access counselling via our telephone counselling service. Our central office is located in Northbridge, just two minutes easy access from the Perth train and bus stations. There is a carpark next door, as well as street parking for those travelling by car. The comfortable counselling rooms create a safe and welcoming atmosphere.
What if I can’t get to SHQ?
If you live in a rural or remote location, or if getting into one of our centres is difficult for you, we can offer telephone counselling appointments. We can also offer you a mixture of face to face and telephone counselling sessions if access is difficult.
When are you open?
Appointments are available: