As a non-profit organisation, we are committed to keeping our pricing as low as possible. Priority groups, such as those aged under 25, and anyone with a Government concession or health care card, are bulk-billed (with their consent), or have no out of pocket expense for appointments. Unplanned pregnancy consultations are bulk billed or incur no charge.
SHQ privately bills clinical consultations and procedures (including IUD, Implanon insertion and medical termination of pregnancy). See Fee estimates below. If you are experiencing financial difficulties, please discuss this confidentially with your clinician.
If you have any questions about our Medicare billing, or would like to discuss individual costs, please contact us on 9227 6177.
For more information about Medicare click here.
Overseas visitors can find out more information about Medicare here.
Please Note: prices current as at July 2020 and are subject to change.
Consultations for unplanned pregnancy will be bulk billed, or incur no charge for clients without Medicare.
Consultations – concessional fees
Anyone under 25 or with a Government concession or health care card will be bulk billed for doctor consultations, and pay no out-of-pocket cost for reproductive and sexual health nurse consultations.
Consultations – General
A gap fee of $20 is charged in addition to the appropriate Medicare Benefit Schedule (MBS) fee for a general doctor consultation. Consultations with a reproductive and sexual health nurse attract a $20 fee.
|Service||SHQ price||Rebate||Gap fee|
|Consult Level A
|Consult Level B
|Consult Level C
|Consult Level D
|Sexual and Reproductive Nurse Consultation||$20||–||$20|
Clients aged 25 or over without a Medicare card incur an appointment fee of $20. There may also be extra fees for any pathology tests required (usually covered by Medicare). Clients who wish not to use their Medicare card will be charged the SHQ Price as per Table A above.
Procedural services – concessional fees
Procedures are bulk billed for clients presenting a valid Government concession or health care card when bringing their own device/contraceptive to their appointment.
Please note: Clients with a Government concession or health care card cannot be bulk billed when purchasing a device from SHQ, and will be required to pay the Rebate price for their appointment and the device cost on the day. (A rebate for MBS items only will be applied by Medicare.)
Procedural services – general
Please note that Intrauterine Device (IUD) and Implanon insertions occur over two appointments, whether on the same day or different days. The first appointment is a general consultation (fees apply as in Table A above). The second appointment, which will include the procedure, will incur the following costs (Table B).
|Service||SHQ price||Rebate||Gap fee|
|IUD Insertion*||Up to $202||Up to $122||$80|
|Implanon Insertion*||Up to $146.25||Up to $106.25||$40|
|Implanon Removal||Up to $168.35||Up to $128.35||$40|
|Removal of non Implanon subcutaneous contraceptive implant such as Jadelle||Up to $211.40||Up to $171.40||$40|
|Medical Termination of Pregnancy – Medicare card holders**||Up to $190.50||$110.50||$80|
|Medical Termination of Pregnancy – non Medicare card holders||$1112 with possible additional $5000||–||–|
*Prices do not include the cost of devices/contraceptives, please see the section below for these costs.
**Cost of second appointment only – initial consultation and follow up consultation will be bulk billed.
|Non-medicare cardholder||Medicare cardholder||Government concession cardholder|
|Progestogen IUD (Mirena)||$235||$41||$6.60|
|Progestogen IUD (Kyleena)||$200||$41||$6.60|
|Contraceptive Implant (ImplanonNXT)||$200||$41||$6.60|
We usually require two appointments for an IUD (Intrauterine Device) insertion:
- The first appointment is to go through your medical history, and provide an explanation about IUDs and what to expect during the insertion procedure. We also do any pre-testing that is required, and organise a script for your IUD if needed.
- The second appointment is when the insertion takes place. Please allow an hour for this appointment.
Please phone us on 9227 6177 to discuss available appointment times.
- The insertion procedure itself can cost up to $202.20 (not including device cost). This includes a gap fee of $80.
- If you have a Health Care Card, the procedure is bulk billed (no out of pocket expense) if you bring your own IUD. If you purchase the IUD from SHQ, you will pay the Rebate price (Table B) plus the cost of the IUD, and you will only be out of pocket for the cost of the IUD.
- If you don’t have Medicare, you will pay the $80 gap fee plus the cost of the device if purchased from SHQ. You may also need to pay privately for any pathology tests, which are usually bulk-billed for Medicare cardholders.
- If you are experiencing financial difficulties, please discuss this confidentially with your clinician.
- If you require pain management, please discuss options and costs with your clinician.