SHQ and the WA AIDS Council (WAAC) have commenced an exciting new project with a primary focus on supporting transgender and gender diverse people in WA, with funding provided by WA Department of Health.
This project will adopt a harm-reduction approach, and seek to explore:
- Behaviours increasing risk of transmission of sexually transmissible infections (STIs) and blood-borne viruses, such as HIV and Hepatitis C
- Perceptions of STI and BBV risk
- Barriers to accessing health and support services
- Testing behaviours
- Health-seeking and health maintenance behaviours
- Experiences in engaging with health services for sexual health
- Knowledge acquisition of safer sex and harm reduction information
- Safer sex practices
- Harm reduction practices.
Key elements of the project will include engaging and consulting with transgender community members, and professionals working in the sexual health and drug and alcohol sectors, to create more positive experiences for both in managing sexual health issues and concerns.
The project will see through the development of a resource/s that aims to address the needs of both groups around improving STI and BBV outcomes.
Work to date
The project began in July 2020, and has so far involved setting-up reference and stakeholder groups to guide the project (including community representatives). Expressions of interest have also been sought from people who identify as trans and gender diverse to gauge current resources used, and further opportunities for engagement.
How I can get involved?
We are always looking for more input!
Please select the current surveys that are applicable to you.
For trans and gender diverse people:
For health professionals:
Register your name to be added to our email lists for surveys and focus group invitations by emailing [email protected].
Got thoughts about the project, or would like more information? We’d love to hear from you!
We’re also keen to hear about any existing resources you are currently using in this area, either as an individual or as a health professional.
Please contact [email protected]