- To increase testing and treatment rates for BBVs and STIs in the WA FIFO populations.
- To increase awareness and uptake of BBV and STI prevention strategies/behaviours.
- To explore innovative ways to promote BBV and STI testing.
- 100% of those who completed evaluation reported that their knowledge about sexual health, STIs, and BBVs had improved due to the training, and 96% reported that their confidence improved.
- The average score for knowledge of mental health staff more than doubled, increasing from 3.83 to 8 (out of a possible 10).
- Continue to engage with the resource sector and related stakeholders so sexual health continues to be present as a relevant health issue.
- Continue to offer health promotion campaigns to the sector, and in cities in towns where FIFO work is prevalent.
- Explore online training as an avenue for upskilling clinicians working with FIFO workers.
- Involve health & safety and facilities staff in FIFO worker initiatives, they provide unique insight and observations that influenced the development of our project.
- Offer opportunistic STI testing with FIFO workers.
- Seek to provide FIFO worker villages and sites with condom access.
Partner with SHQ
A strong emphasis on physical and mental health is crucial in any workplace, but it becomes even more essential in FIFO communities where employees are often away from their families and support networks for extended periods. By implementing SHQ’s tailored program, companies can proactively address and prevent potential issues related to sexual health. By promoting healthy behaviours and providing employees with the necessary resources, they are better equipped to navigate potential challenges associated with the FIFO lifestyle.
Investing in the well-being of your employees creates an inclusive and caring work environment leading to higher employee retention rates, improved team dynamics, a positive brand image, and a workforce that can thrive both personally and professionally.
While this program was designed for the mining and resources industry, it can be tailored to meet the needs of any organisation.