We started this exciting journey about one and a half years ago, and are so excited to finally be able to share it with you all!
We recognised that our old site had functional limitations and did not meet Website Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG). Our vision was to rebuild the SHQ website, with a focus on reinforcing brand values, improving user experience and meeting accessibility guidelines.
After a lot of research and many phone calls, we engaged with a website design firm called Humaan, who understood our brand and shared our vision for the site rebuild. It was great to work with their talented, friendly team. As an organisation that offers lots of unique and specific services, we especially appreciate how responsive and accommodating they were to our many requests throughout the build process.
We wanted a site that reflected our welcoming and inclusive brand, and positioned us as the specialist first point of contact for all things sexual health in WA. We think this new website delivers on our vision. As well as appearing more inviting and aesthetically-pleasing, we are aiming for this site to meet WCAG guidelines around accessibility, and welcome your feedback on how we can improve in this area.
The new website offers the following user-friendly features to improve accessibility and functionality:
- increased responsiveness of the overall site and better mobile interface
- responsive phone number throughout the site means you can get in contact more easily when browsing on mobile
- an advanced search function which allows users to easily find relevant sexual health and services information
- simple entry points for clients and health professionals
- education and training courses filtered by audience
- pages with lots of text now have sections that can be expanded and collapsed to make it quicker and easier to find the information you need
- brochures and information sheets are now available as easy to read web pages with optional pdf downloads
As an accredited organisation, it is our commitment to engage with consumers who use our services, or could potentially use our services in the future, such as members of our priority groups and health professionals. We consulted with various individuals throughout the site planning and creation process, and used their feedback to ultimately improve the user experience on the site.
We hope you enjoy our new site as much as we enjoyed creating it. As with all of our services and publications, if you have any feedback or suggestions for improvement, we encourage you to let us know by completing our feedback form.