SHQ endorses the World Health Organization’s working definition which defines sexual health as:
a state of physical, emotional, mental and social well-being in relation to sexuality; it is not merely the absence of disease, dysfunction or infirmity. Sexual health requires a positive and respectful approach to sexuality and sexual relationships, as well as the possibility of having pleasurable and safe sexual experiences, free of coercion, discrimination and violence. For sexual health to be attained and maintained, the sexual rights of all persons must be respected, protected and fulfilled.
Since its inception in 1972, the Family Planning Association of WA (Inc) has evolved as a leading provider of specialist services in sexual and reproductive health.
In 2016 we introduced a new brand: SHQ (Sexual Health Quarters). Our new name positions us as the central point of contact for anything relating to sexual health, and represents our whole of community approach.
SHQ is an independent, non-profit organisation. We are a member of the Family Planning Alliance of Australia.
SHQ is accredited under the National Safety and Quality Health Services Standards. You can read more about this on our accreditation page.
Sexual health and wellbeing for all Western Australians
- We promote human rights
- We support social justice
- We support personal autonomy and choice
- We strive for excellence in all we do
- We ensure confidentiality and privacy for all clients
- We value and respect diversity
- We aspire to work collaboratively
Our priority groups
- Young people
- Aboriginal people
- People living with intellectual disability
- Sex workers
- People from CaLD communities
- People from regional, rural and remote communities